Microlux Tilting Arbor Table Saw
To the best of my recollection, I purchased my Microlux table saw in 2001. It entered a coma in August 2007. My saw has seen very heavy duty use for a saw this size and being my first table saw I abused it a lot just because I didn't know how to treat it right. It's been a very dependable unit in spite of being mistreated.
I had just finished making the last cuts on sixteen sets of magnetic fixtures (480 pieces having multiple cuts). The next time I turned the saw on it ran at an extremely low RPM and the speed control didn't work.
Because the saw was so old and the fact that sending things in to be repaired costs almost as much as a new tool but yields an old, repaired tool, I decided to dive into the machine and see if I could fix it. I wish I'd taken photos along the way so I could show you what's inside, but I didn't. Suffice to say you don't want to take this saw apart unless you have to.
I couldn't find anything wrong. My first thought was that it was the rheostat speed control. My electronics guru buddy came by and declared the rheostat to be sound. In other words, the simplest and least expensive thing to fix wasn't the problem.
That left the problem to be either the circuit board or the motor. So I tore the saw down completely including pulling the core from the motor to check the brushes. The circuit board didn't look fried but that never means anything. If it does look fried then it's probably the problem but if it doesn't look fried it might still be the problem.
So I called MicroMark tech service and spoke to Vince for quite a while. Before I made the call I put the guts of the saw back together enough that I could at least turn it on. He listened to the motor over the phone and said he thinks it's the board but couldn't be sure.
In the mean time the saw was on sale and was supposed to go up in price when the sale was over. I had about four days to decide if I was going to buy another saw if I wanted the sale price. Vince assured me that if the part didn't work he would take the part back and refund my money. Additionally, he said he would extend the sale price to me if the sale ended and the part didn't work.
A few days later I received the new board. It was shipped 2nd day air so the $35.00 board plus shipping plus some miscellaneous screws he gave me for free came to a grand total of $50.00. The motor was $90.00 as of this writing so I'm glad it wasn't the problem.
Several wires need to be de-soldered from the board to remove it. I decided to put the parts together outside the saw to see if they worked rather than put the whole thing back together and possibly have to disassemble it all again if the board didn't work. Thankfully the new board worked and now I had to reassemble everything. That took about three hours and wasn't real difficult but there are assemblies like Chinese puzzles in there where you have to slide this through that before you can attach any of it.
In the mean time I decided that since this saw has become a centerpiece of my shop activities it wouldn't hurt to have another one so I went ahead and purchased a new unit. My old saw is running fine but it doesn't have that happy sound it should have. Something inside needs to be tweaked but I have no idea what it is.
I'll be using my new saw and keeping the old one as a spare. It's now completely cleaned and in the box the new saw came in safely stored away for when it's time comes again.
To the best of my knowledge this saw is exactly the same as the Proxxon FKS/E Deluxe Small Scale Table Saw. In fact, I'm pretty sure that most Microlux tools are simply re-branding of other tools.